How do I handle material on the ALS Video and Audio Book Rotations?
You should be able to create items for materials on the ALS Video and Audio Book circuits so that your library can circulate them on the system. Unlike CARL, you should not need to delete item records (even temporary "Fast Add" records) before you send them to the next library on the circuit. The next library should be able to use any item records that you have created or modified while a packet has been at your library. Here is a suggested workflow on how you might handle items from these ALS collections:
Important Note: When you are ready to send a packet to the next library on the circuit, do not delete your item records. They can be used by the library that will be receiving the packet. If all of the items in the packet have item records, you might inform staff at the next library since they will be able to use them. In order for the next library to circulate the items, they will only need to edit the items by changing the Location to their library's code. The library can also change the iType if they prefer a new loan period. The receiving library should consider using the Item Group Editor for batch changes to item records from new packets.
- When you receive a packet on the Video or Audio Book circuit, separate any titles that have already been cataloged. To do this, put each of the items through Check-in in Horizon. (Be sure to use the ALS barcode.) Items that have been cataloged will appear in the Check-in Window as you scan barcodes. As you scan an item that has been cataloged, you will probably get a message that the item has been placed intransit. This happens because the Location code of the item is different than the code used by your library. This is nothing to worry about since your next step for cataloged items is to change the Location code of the items. (see #2)
Items not cataloged will prompt an "Invalid barcode" message when they are scanned in Check-in. (See #3 and #4 for uncataloged items.)
- In order to circulate the items that are already cataloged,you will only need to use Item Edit or the Item Group Editor to changethe Location to the code used by your library. For a new loan period, you can also select a new Item Type (iType).
- In the event that an item has not been cataloged, we would recommend that you search PAC and, when possible, create an item for the record by attaching to an existing catalog record. When creating an item, pay particular attention to these fields:
- Barcode: You should use the ALS barcode that was attached to the item when it was processed. The same barcode can be used when the item moves to the next library on the circuit. If the ALS barcode has been ripped off at some point, please contact us and we will supply you with replacement barcodes.
- Location: You should use the location code assigned to your library.
- Collection: Please use the ALS code "alarot" for the Audio Book rotation. Use the ALS code "alvrot" for the Video rotation. Using these codes is very important to us since it will allow us to track circulation statistics on the system.
- Item Type: You can use an item type of your choice to drive the loan period. If you have an iType setup for videos or audio books at your library, you might use that code.
- Copy/Volume: Please use this field to indicate the packet number of the item. Examples:
- In the event that you are not able to find a bibliographic record for the title, you can either create a record on CatExpress or you can create a Fast Add record. In both cases, please use the instructions from #2 for assigning Barcode, Location, Collection, iType and Copy/Volume.
Return to FAQ
Last Updated: 2011-09-01 16:18:35