How do I create Fast Add (temporary) records on Horizon?
In some cases, it will be necessary to create brief bibliographic records in Horizon. They are referred to as Fast Add records. The major advantage of Fast Add records is that they are indexed in the catalog. Here are a few examples where Fast Add records might be used:
A. "Cataloging on the fly" at the Circulation Desk. A patron brings a book to the Circulation Desk that has not been cataloged. You need to check it out in a hurry without going through cataloging.
B. Cataloging Method of Last Resort. You might use Fast Add in cases where you have not been able to identify a record on the regional database or on CatExpress.
C. Uncataloged Items on the ALS Video and Audio Book Circuits.
The Fast Add process is always done through the Check-out function of Circulation. Even if you do not need to check-out the Fast Add item immediately, you will need to be in Check-out mode.
The following steps may be used for creating a Fast Add Bibliographic Record:
- Go to the Check-Out Window in Circulation. (On the Horizon Navigation Bar, double-click on Circulation, then double-click on the window to "Open CKO Window."
- If you will be checking the book out to a patron who is at the Circulation Desk, scan in his/her patron barcode. If you are not checking the item out immediately, you will still need to bring up a patron record at this point. We have set up a patron record that you can use in these cases. Simply type in the word "fast." This will bring up a borrower in the Check-Out screen called "Fast Add Record."
- Once you have brought up a patron record in Check-Out, go to the Item menu at the top of the screen, and select the option for New Item.
- You will now see a window that says "Item Not Found/Fast Add." Click on the option for Bib & Item.
- You will now see a template with windows for basic bibliographic and item data. Below are the fields that should be filled out to complete the record. I have noted the fields that are required.
- Title - Required field. Drop"A," "An" or "The" if it is the first word of the title.
- Note. We added this field so that, in the case of Fast Add records for material on the ALS Video and Audio Book rotations, you can take note of the format. For these records, please enter an appropriate term:
- Barcode - Required field.
(Important note: If you are creating a Fast Add record for an item on the ALS Audio Book or Video Rotation, use the ALS barcode in this field.)
- Location - Required field.
(Important Note: If you are creating a Fast Add record for an item on the ALS Audio Book or Video Collection, use the Location code for your library in this field.)
- Collection - Required field.
(Important Note: If you are creating a Fast Add Record for a title on the ALS Video or Audio Book Rotation, please use an ALS Collection so we can track statistics for these collections. For the Audio Book Rotation, use the Collection code "alarot." For the ALS Video Rotation, use the Collection code "alvrot.")
- Item type - Required field.
- Call number
- Copy/Volume Info.
(Note: If you are creating a Fast AddRecord for a title on the ALS Video or Audio Book Rotation, please use this field to indicate the packet number.)
- Check-in Note
(Note: If you are creating a Fast Add Record for a title on the ALS Video or Audio Book Rotation, please create a check-in note reading "Fast Add." This will notify catalogers that the record should be upgraded, at some point, to a full record.)
- Click on Okay to Save the Record. You will now see item information for your Fast Add record on the Check-Out Screen. If you need to create additional Fast Add records, go to the Item menu at the top of the screen and select "New Item." Follow this document from instruction #5.
Note: In the event that you have created Fast Add records while using the fake "Fast Add Patron" described in instruction #2, you will most likely want to use Check-in after you are done so the items are no longer checked out to the "fake" patron.
Return to FAQ
Last Updated: 2011-09-01 16:18:35